Friday, July 22, 2011

Slow by Jerks


This was a rough week for us as we had some of that once-every-30+ years hot muggy weather. I heard one person say it was hotter here than anywhere else in the world one of the days, once the humidity (82° dew point) and heat index were calculated into the actual temps. Who knows really but it was hot! I just stayed inside. John of course, being an HVAC-R guy, gets busy when the weather turns south. :-P He spent those three hottest days working overtime on hot roofs (and one of all those nifty gadets he uses was measuring 146° at one point up on a hot roof!). So we had little time for the house, and even took a night off (!!!!). So this is what our week looked like:

Sunday - skipped church and slept, we were both feeling sick. Went to HD and bought a bath/shower fixture so John could start on fixing the plumbing.

Monday - skipped softball because John was working quite late (hey, at least he was getting paid to be in the heat!)

Tuesday - John worked late, then we went and just took some measurements at the house. City inspector   requires us to show deck plans so we had to draw our property and house dimensions. I help hold the measuring tape. ;o) I also finished painting the front door! So I'm good for something anyway.

Wednesday - stayed home!

Thursday - John worked on welding the plumbing in the bathroom; I screwed on four bathroom cabinet doors and replaced one light switch. :-P

Friday - I stayed home and John finished the welding. Took the boys and got back at 8pm, much earlier than usual.








These are the bathroom and master bedroom doors which we replaced several weeks ago. Nothing TOO fancy, just hollow-core, but pretty. :) The old ones were just plain and flat, and had some holes. These are the 2 most visible doors of the 4 total upstairs so it was a good switch - and we got a great deal! Now to find glass door knobs somewhere.

Now, the kitchen cabinet hardware up there? Not staying. Nuh-uh. It's the old stuff but we don't have the moola to get new stuff yet. Kind of painful to go through all the work of putting the doors back up knowing we have to take it all down and replace it eventually, but we don't know how soon it will be before that happens. So we did.

And for as many skillz as we have, painting and hanging cabinets isn't one of them. There are drips, the sheen is wrong (thank you pregnancy brain), and many of the doors stick or rub. Ah well. I had some inner  conniptions over the whole thing and now I'm over it (and, gulp, some not so inner - sorry Hubs). There are more important things in life than perfect kitchen cabinets. Some day I'll go over them with a coat of semi-gloss, and they'll have new hardware. And SOME day, way down the road - we'll just replace them with new cabinets and PAY someone ELSE to install them. Until then, they're at least worlds better than before!

And here's my pretty pretty door! We - the John and Elizabeth Family - we are Blue Door people. So if we plan to call a place Home, it gets a Blue Door.


I'm envisioning a cute chair (maybe with a brightly colored pillow), a very large blue planter, and some kind of rug on this porch. And maybe something vertical to go with the tall ceiling? Ideas welcomed! 

And yes, the screen door handle is not yet put back. I swore when I removed it that I would remember how to put it back in. But then, I didn't. So oops.

2 comments:

  1. Spreading blue doors across Minnesota!
    My vote is a cozy hammock chair right there in the corner. Lots of pillows and blankets on top of a concealing rug, and a little side table to set coffee on :) But of course there should be lots of plants!

    -Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your kitchen looks beautiful, hardware and all. :) Don't worry about the drips. I have a few of those too. I tell myself it adds charm and are there for the memories. :P Love the blue door and the whole "We're home now" concept that goes with it. I think you need a pot of red geraniums on the step.

    ReplyDelete